For GCSE, AS and A-level courses you will require a scientific calculator. The use of various types of functions on calculators are often restricted in GCSE, AS and A-level papers. If in doubt, check with your teacher or examinations officer that the calculator you intend to purchase is allowed for use with your syllabus.
In general for GCSE a calculator MUST NOT have the following
- retrieval of text or formulae
- QWERTY keyboards
- built-in symbolic algebra manipulations
- symbolic differentiation or integration, language translators
- communication with other machines or the internet.
I would recommend the Casio FX-85 ES calculator as it is easy to use, powerful and excellent value.
For A-Level the Casio FX-991 ES calculator
AS and A-Level Calculators
Generally for AS and A-level you can use a graphics calculator but it MUST NOT have a facility for symbolic algebra, differentiation and/or integration.
I would recommend the Texas TI 83+ calculator
There are some excellent calculators that can do symbolic algebra, differentiation and integration along with many other functions suitable for engineers, surveyors, maths and science professionals.
As a teacher I use the HP 50G calculator
Packed with all the functions you would need for GCSE and A-Level. It is easy to use and you can even enter expressions as seen in your text books. The FX-85ES is designed for Key Stage 3 and above. Excellent value for money.
The FX991ES is the new kid on the block and is shaking up the maths world. With 403 functions and the revolutionary Natural Textbook Display you are able to enter expressions as seen in your text books. With advanced mathematical functionality, the FX991ES is ideal for both students and professionals. It is operated by solar power and an auxiliary battery and comes with hard slide on case.
This easy-to-use graphing tool provides all the functionality you need for Secondary maths and science from 11 right through to 18. It also includes advanced statistics and financial features. Enhanced with Flash technology, this handheld technology gives you the flexibility to add TI-83 Plus software applications (Apps) and additional functionality beyond maths and science, providing long-term value.
- See the equation, graph, and coordinates all at the same time. Jump directly to points just by entering a number.
- Includes hypothesis testing and confidence intervals. View results graphically or numerically. Analysis features sine and logistic regressions.
- Create scatter, xy-line, box-and-whisker, histogram, and normal probability plots.
- Group related data (programs, lists, pic, etc.) together to store in the archive for later use.
- Solve equations interactively for different variables. Great for "what ifs."
- Allows you to trace the graph and scroll table values simultaneously.
- Store and analyze up to 10 matrices, size limited only by available memory
The new HP 50g Graphing Calculator provides the best in power, flexibility and connectivity for math, science and engineering professionals, university and college students.
It now features
- a more capable SD card slot, 2.5 MB total memory**, new RS232 and USB connectivity, and a built-in intelligent editor that gives you more capability than ever before. Entry Logic: Algebraic/RPN/textbook Menus, prompts Alpha messages Soft-keys Numerical precision: Additional applications available on Internet Configuration Flash ROM for future electronic software upgrades RAM 512 KB + 2 MB flash ROM Redefinable menu keys Redefinable keyboard (user mode) Peripherals Supports libraries/RPL programs Vector operations Rectangular/polar Matrix operations: Includes symbolic matrices Matrix editor Graphing features 2-D function, polar, parametric plot 3-D, differential equation, bar plot Histogram, scatter plot Find: intersect, extremum, slope, area Zoom, trace, co-ordinates, shade
I have one for sale which has never been used. It is in mint condition. I was going to use it for development work but never did. If any one wants it just contact me. UK only. £80